Surgical Technician PRN JobPeoria, AZ
Why You'll Love This Job
Banner Surgery Center – Peoria is managed by Atlas Healthcare Partners. Located in the Banner Health Center, the surgery center offers exceptional care and outstanding customer service to patients and physicians in the Peoria community. This ASC is adaptable to all specialties and offers one operating room and two procedure rooms. Banner Surgery Center – Peoria prides itself on being easily accessible for patients in the thriving area of the Phoenix metropolitan area.
Atlas Healthcare and Banner Health have partnered to manage, operate and grow Banner Surgery Centers throughout the Southwest. As one of the fast-growing healthcare partnerships, our focus is to provide exceptional care and outstanding customer service to every patient, every physician, every time. All this while focusing daily on their company core values of Integrity, Culture, Teamwork, Respect, and Results. We provide top of the industry health and dental benefits with a matching retirement package. It’s a special working environment and one we believe you will greatly enjoy.
Pay Class: PRN
Pay Type: Hourly
This position selects and places surgical instruments, supplies and equipment during surgery. Scrubs and provides instruments, sutures, and other sterile supplies during surgical procedure.
- Prepares for surgical procedures. Pulls appropriate instruments and supplies and ensures good working order of instruments. Reviews case carts for correct instruments and supplies. Plans ahead for upcoming surgical case needs.
- Anticipates the surgeon's needs. Passes instruments, retracts tissue and operates equipment during surgery.
- Demonstrates the principles of aseptic technique and universal precautions throughout the procedure. Disposes of sharps and trash and places used supplies into case cart for processing. Participates in counting of sharps, instruments and sponges. Prepares instruments for cleaning following each case.
- Ensures that all surgeon preference cards and pick lists are accurate.
- Assists with OR turnover between cases. Participates in stocking, replenishing supplies and cleaning operating rooms.
- May provide business support to the department including assigned administrative tasks.
- Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards.
- Provides all customers with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The essential functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
TYPE OF SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY
This position follows safety procedures in regards to medication labeling, appropriate handling of specimens, appropriate handling of sharps, time-out procedure, radiation and laser safety, infection control, assembling and disassembling instruments. Participates in emergency call rotation. Internal customers are patients, surgeons, and nursing staff. External customers may include practicing physicians and patient families.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT FACTORS
DP - Typical Direct Patient Care environment:
- Able to stand, walk, bend, squat, reach, and stretch frequently.
- Possess physical agility and adequate reaction time to respond quickly and appropriately to unexpected patient care needs.
- Needs adequate hearing and visual acuity, including adequate color vision.
- Requires fine motor skills, adequate eye-hand coordination, and ability to grasp and handle objects.
- Able to use proper body mechanics to assist patients in ambulating, transferring in and out of bed, chair or wheelchair.
- May be required to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Must use standard precautions due to threat of exposure to blood and bodily fluids.
- Needs ability to communicate effectively through reading, writing, and speaking in person or on telephone.
- May require periodic use of computer, phone and general office equipment.
High school diploma or GED required. BLS required. Where applicable, must be registered with State Regulatory Agency.The position requires manual dexterity and the ability to maintain professional decorum in highly stressful emergent situations. The position requires the ability to be conscientious, organized, and orderly and the ability to respond quickly to the needs of the surgeon and patient.
Graduation from a certified school of surgical technology or 2 years of operating room experience.